John Andrew, “Jack” to family and friends, was born June 19, 1932 in Alden, Pa. (Luzerne County), a son of the late Andrew and Sophie (Olshefski) Rushin. In 1950, he graduated from Newport High School before earning a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Pittsburgh in 1956. He then served in the U.S. Air Force for three years in Florida. On Dec. 17, 1956 Jack married the former Albertha Kemerite. They were blessed with 62 years together and raised two children.
Dr. Rushin first started his practice in Canton in 1960. He later worked with the Dentistry Department of the Guthrie Clinic from 1967 – 1968 before re-establishing his Canton practice in 1969. In 1986, Dr. Rushin opened a new dental office located at 11 E. Main St. Canton where he remained until retirement. Jack knew the Lord in his heart and was a faithful member of St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church and a 4th Degree Knights of Columbus. He was a past president and member of the Canton Area School Board, Canton Lion’s Club, the South Mountain Hunting Club and was a former high school football referee.