1. Plan Ahead. You know you are going to be tempted with all kinds of gourmet treats that everyone has been waiting all year to make. Your plan could include eating light for a few days before the event. It could mean planning to eat a snack of protein, water and high fiber vegetables before going to the gathering. Your plan could even include deciding what to bring, what you are going to eat, and how much you are going to indulge in. The most important thing is that you actually take the time to plan and know how you are going to combat all the high calorie temptations before you get there. You could also help yourself out by taking a lower calorie contribution. Veggie trays, fruit trays, soup, salad or even a “healthier” version of a higher calorie favorite are all possibilities.
3. Location, location, location. This isn’t just a motto for business. When you are at a gathering try to position yourself away from the food. Out of sight, out of mind – well maybe not necessarily, but if you are not in arm’s reach of the snacks you might be less tempted to aimlessly nibble.
4. Focus on the socialization. Although the food is a huge draw at get-togethers, try to focus on catching up with friends and relatives that you haven’t seen in a while. This will take your mind off the food and keep you occupied.
5. Watch the alcohol. Alcoholic beverages (and other high calorie drinks for that matter) are a terrific way to sabotage any controlled eating plan. First, alcohol has quite a few empty calories. Again, if watching your weight is a goal, then don’t blow it by drinking your calorie quota. Secondly, alcohol often makes people eat more, which is a double blow the waistline. And finally, overindulgence in alcohol can make you forget all your intended plans.
6. Take time to relax. Stress is often one of the main reasons people overeat. Despite the hype of being times to celebrate, family gatherings can be stressful. Even though the schedule gets jam packed with extra things to do, don’t forget to take time to unwind. Take a hot bath, go for a walk, get to the gym, eat right on a regular basis and get enough sleep. Keeping stress in check will go a long way to keeping the belly fat down.
No matter what your plans are for the next few months, make a plan that will keep your weight from skyrocketing. Sometimes you might have to say “no” to some of the temptations for the sake of your belly, but in the long run it will be worth it. Your health is one of the most important things you have.
Remember, the motto at the Canton Fitness Center is: “Believe in your health. We do!”